“There are several elements of design that interior designers use according to some basic principles to create spaces that satisfy the functional and aesthetic goals of a problem. These design elements and principles are used by painters, graphic designers, sculptors, and other visual artists.”
1. Form – linear, flat, round, curved, cylindrical, square……all types of forms make up interior spaces.
2. Scale – “the relative size of something as related to another element of known size”
3. Color – color can be a powerful design tool and is “one of the most dominant perceptions of the physical world”
4. Texture – adds another layer to the complexity of a space, can be tactile or just visual
5. Pattern – the repetition of a decorative motif or image
6. Light – light affects all of the above, how we perceive objects and spaces
The unique combinations created when these elements are combined are endless.